Friday, March 31, 2017

Something Just Like This - My Review of THE OPPOSITE OF YOU by Rachel Higginson

Title: The Opposite of You
Author: Rachel Higginson
Publication Date: 3/30/2017
Source: ARC from the author



Synopsis:

I’ve sworn off men. 


All men. 



Famous last words, right? You’re expecting some epic tale of reluctant love and my dramatic change of heart? Well, you’re not going to get it. 



I’m stubborn. And headstrong. And I’ve just survived the worst three years of my life. After escaping an abusive fiancé to live in hostels and cheap hotels while I worked my way across Europe, I’ve come to two conclusions. 



The first? Now that I’m back home, I’m going to squander my expensive culinary degree on a food truck that caters to the late night drunk crowd. 



The second? I’m going to prove to the bastard across the plaza that my street food is better than his fussy five course monstrosities.



Killian Quinn might be Food and Wine’s Chef to Watch Out For. He might have a Michelin Star. He might have every food critic in the city wrapped around his too-large fingers. But he’s also pretentious and unbearably arrogant and the very opposite of me. 



So he can keep his unsolicited advice and his late night visits and his cocky smiles. I want none of it. Or him. 



I want the opposite.







Rachel Higginson is the author of The Five Stages of Falling in Love, Every Wrong Reason, The Star-Crossed Series, Love & Decay Novella Series and much more! She was born and raised in Nebraska, and spent her college years traveling the world. She fell in love with Eastern Europe, Paris, Indian Food and the beautiful beaches of Sri Lanka, but came back home to marry her high school sweetheart. Now she spends her days writing stories and raising four amazing kids.





The Opposite of You is truly one of the best books I've read so far this year. 

Vera Delane is in trouble. After circumstances and her father's illness force her to return home, Vera finds herself starting a brand new business and praying she'll be able to somehow land on her feet.

Vera runs a food truck which is parked in the lot of her brother's store. His store which just happens to be directly across the street from one of the most famous restaurants in town, run by one of the toughest, well-known chefs around, Killian Quinn.

The Opposite of You is the most perfect enemies-to-lovers stories that I've ever read. It has the perfect amount of wit and sass, enhanced with a sprinkling of sexy banter and arrogant attitude. Throw in a couple of silly pranks and mouth-watering recipes and you have the recipe for a most excellent romance.

Just to keep things interesting, ghosts pop up from Vera's past. You can kind of feel it coming, but I love the way both Killian and Vera handle the resulting situation. Also, Killian sends an army of spies to keep an eye on Vera, which goes over about like a lead balloon. In the end, Killian and Vera find that they make an excellent team, but how do they move forward when they are basically competitors?

5 out of 5 stars.




Something Just Like This - The Chainsmokers & Coldplay



No comments:

Post a Comment