Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Long & Lost - My Review of Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young



Title: Sky in the Deep
Author: Adrienne Young
Publisher: Wednesday Books
Publication Date: 4/24/18
Source: ARC from the publisher


OND ELDR. BREATHE FIRE.

Raised to be a warrior, seventeen-year-old Eelyn fights alongside her Aska clansmen in an ancient rivalry against the Riki clan. Her life is brutal but simple: fight and survive. Until the day she sees the impossible on the battlefield—her brother, fighting with the enemy—the brother she watched die five years ago.

Faced with her brother's betrayal, she must survive the winter in the mountains with the Riki, in a village where every neighbor is an enemy, every battle scar possibly one she delivered. But when the Riki village is raided by a ruthless clan thought to be a legend, Eelyn is even more desperate to get back to her beloved family.

She is given no choice but to trust Fiske, her brother’s friend, who sees her as a threat. They must do the impossible: unite the clans to fight together, or risk being slaughtered one by one. Driven by a love for her clan and her growing love for Fiske, Eelyn must confront her own definition of loyalty and family while daring to put her faith in the people she’s spent her life hating.




YA fantasy author, SKY IN THE DEEP (4.24.18) & UNTITLED (2019) from Wednesday Books. Agent: Barbara Poelle, IGLA

Adrienne Young is a born and bred Texan turned California girl. She is a foodie with a deep love of history and travel and a shameless addiction to coffee. When she’s not writing, you can find her on her yoga mat, scouring antique fairs for old books, sipping wine over long dinners, or disappearing into her favorite art museums. She lives with her documentary filmmaker husband and their four little wildlings beneath the West Coast sun.

For information on release, appearances, ARCs, giveaways, and exclusive content, sign up for the newsletter at https://adrienneyoungbooks.com/

Instagram: @adrienneyoungbooks
Twitter: @adriennebooks




I don't exactly know what to say or where to start with this one. I'm not sure that I even have the right words. It was such an incredible ride.

First of all, I guess I should say that I feel so unbelievably blessed to have had the opportunity to read this book before release. I've been watching it ever since I first saw the cover. (OMG, how amazing is that cover?) I could tell that it was a dark and raw fantasy novel that I desperately needed in my life. When I started seeing reviews and comments rolling in, it was solidified and I knew that I would have to own this book.

Secondly, I think I have to say that one of my favorite things about this book is also something that makes me very sad. Sky in the Deep is a STANDALONE!!! I love it because there was no waiting to find out how the heroine would resolve the conflict. I'm sad because I was enjoying the book so much that I didn't want it to end. EVER.

The stage is set at the time of Vikings. This book holds nothing back. It is violent and descriptive. Eelyn's prejudices are well-earned, and her enemy, The Riki's treatment of her is harsh and brutal. The time that Eelyn spends as a captive of The Riki is filled with hatred and taunting and Eelyn often fears for her life. This is not a fluffy feel-good book, but in the end, it did make me think and make me aware of some pretty harsh realities of our world today.

Sky in the Deep has some absolutely amazing characters and some of the strongest women I've ever read. Also, while it may seem completely impossible, this book contains some pretty epic romance. The family relationships and friendships that are explored are quite thought-provoking. 

  1. Can Iri's actions still be seen as traitorous after all that Eelyn has seen and felt?
  2. After all that has happened would Eelyn be welcomed back in her own village?
  3. Can the love you feel for the family you choose be as strong as the love you have for your family by blood?
I loved everything about this book except for the fact that it ended.

5 out of 5 stars




Florence and the Machine - Long & Lost

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post. I've recommended it to my library. Love the song choice too.

    ReplyDelete