Monday, January 26, 2015

Reflections - Lori's Review of KALEIDOSCOPE HEARTS by Claire Contreras


Title: Kaleidoscope Hearts
Author: Claire Contreras
Publication Date: 1/20/2015
Source: My Shelves
Synopsis: He was my older brother's best friend. 
He was never supposed to be mine. 
I thought we would get it out of our system and move on. 

One of us did. 
One of us left. 

Now he’s back, looking at me like he wants to devour me. And all those feelings I’d turned into anger are brewing into something else, something that terrifies me. 
He broke my heart last time. 
This time he'll obliterate it.

This is a standalone.





Claire Contreras graduated with her BA in Psychology from Florida International University. She lives in Miami, FL with her husband, two little boys, and three dogs.
Her favorite past times are: daydreaming, writing, and reading. She has been described as a random, sarcastic, crazy girl with no filter. Life is short, and it’s more bitter than sweet, so she tries to smile as often as her face allows. She enjoys stories with happy endings, because life is full of way too many unhappy ones.
Find out more about Claire on her WEBSITE

I've seen lots of chatter about Kaleidoscope Hearts around Facebook and Twitter. I knew from the summary that this was a book that I wanted to read, but really, this book was so much more than I was expecting.

Estelle and Oliver have been circling each other for over ten years.  There have been hook-ups and make-outs; stolen kisses and sometimes more. Shadowing each encounter is Estelle's brother, Victor. Victor and Oliver have been best friends since they were children.  They are closer than brothers, but Victor thinks that no one is good enough for his little sister, not even his best friends.

There is so much emotion and back story in this book, and I'm afraid that I may give away too much. Estelle hasn't seen Oliver in over a year, but now she has moved in with her brother and discovers that Oliver has moved back in town and is finishing up his residency in a local hospital. Estelle is recovering from a recent loss and is carrying around a heavy load of guilt.  She is also struggling to remember who she really is.

Oliver is still very much attracted to Estelle, but like always, he isn't looking for a relationship. Because of mistakes his parents made, Oliver is determined to put his career first and make sure that he has his future settled before he begins looking for a woman to fit into his life. Not to even mention that Oliver knows that Victor would kill him for even looking twice at Estelle.

Oliver and Estelle have an extensive history.  There have been so many starts and stops that it's hard for either one of them to trust what they are feeling. They each have years of separate experiences and emotions that they need to work through separately before they can be together, but they just cannot deny the strong connection between them.

I know my words are not even coming close to describing how much I loved this story.  The author used two points of view brilliantly.  We get Estelle's point of view of the present and Oliver tells us the events of the past.  It puts everything in such a unique perspective for the reader.  It really made me cheer for every time Oliver asked Estelle for just 'One date'.

This book had it all; heartbreak, longing, family, loss, romance, tenderness, and strength. I recommend it for all fans of romance.

5 out of 5 stars



Misterwives - Reflections

Put me on the shelf, discipline myself
To let the sparks die out
Shattering anything
That has reflections of you you


Sia - Elastic Heart

I've got thick skin and an elastic heart
But your blade it might be too sharp
I'm like a rubberband until you pull too hard
I may snap and I move fast
But you won't see me fall apart
'Cos I've got an elastic heart



No comments:

Post a Comment