Monday, April 22, 2013

A Happy Accident by Evan Tyler



A Happy Accident by Evan Tyler



Goodreads Blurb
A Story Inspired by Steven Tyler: The first book in a three-part series

It happened by accident, a lottery of events…

In 1988, a blind seven-year-old lay in a hospital room longing for her mother, unaware that eight years earlier a chance encounter occurred that would shape her life.

American musician Bobby Carter moved to Manchester, England with one objective—to become a major player in the postpunk scene of the late Seventies. His quest for stardom steers him in the direction of Kindle Hyrum, whose feistiness is only exceeded by her raw beauty. Though Bobby’s steady pursuit trumps Kindle’s cheeky resistance—sweeping them into present bliss—past secrets, new temptations, and a series of hapless and happy accidents will determine their future...and the future of a blind child.

Set to the lyrical soundtrack of the 60s and 70s, A Happy Accident is a story of love and choice that transcends the ages.

I was given a copy of this book by the author for a fair and honest review.  I actually rate it higher than 4 stars but less than 5.  

I was a little hesitant to agree to this at first simply because no one has ever asked this of me before.  I mean, I give my opinion all the time, but no one has ever requested it.  LOL.

I dove into this story feet first and knew right away that I was going to love it.  The words are rich and mature.  The characters are full and vibrant.  For a few days I was transported to Manchester England, watching this story unfold in front of my face.

Bobby Carter is the lead singer for the punk band, The Dare,  playing in England to try to jump start their music career.  Bobby sees Kindle, a waitress at the bar where the band is playing and begins following and almost awkwardly stalking her around.  Kindle said to Bobby, 
“You are amazing in a very ridiculous kind of way. Do you realize that?”  
I totally support her observation 100%.  His first efforts were so innocent and sweet that Bobby won me over immediately.  Conquering Kindle took a bit longer.

I don't wish to spoil the story, but the choices these two make in the first few days of their relationship would normally turn me away from a book. The circumstances of these arrangements, the characters themselves,and statements like this one had me reading on.
 “Well, let's agree now that I'm going to kiss you when I tell you.” He held out his hand for her to shake. “I'll be a gentleman about it. Or a sailor, if you want. Whatever you want, I'll be. Just as long as you give me your mouth for ten whole seconds.”
Kindle is a strong young woman who is working her ass off to make ends meet on her own.  She has been alone for a few years with no family and very few friends.  Having Bobby in her life both knocks her completely off kilter and provides a foundation that her life has been missing.  Her character is amazing and even though she breaks my heart, I understand and support the choices she makes in her life.

Bobby is a sheep in wolves clothing.  An innocent romantic dressed as a punk rock bad ass.  Kindle asks, 


“You’ve got such a deceitful shell, don’t you? You’re a romantic in gothic apparel. Why don’t you write soul music?” 
Bobby answers,“Punk gets the job done faster.”

Sometimes you read something that resonates so loudly that you have to share it with the world. This paragraph is perfection. 
“Bobby came to the realization that it had not been love at first sight, but his fondness for her was real and growing. He was coming to appreciate the gradual nature of love, how it came like the rising of the sun."

I want to marry this book and have cute little clever babies with it.  The HEA flew the coop on this one, but it was absolutely ok.  It takes a lot for a story to make me say that.

I loved it.  I whole-heartedly recommend it.  Go read it.  NOW!!

No comments:

Post a Comment