Thursday, August 21, 2014

My Hero - A Review of PIECES OF YOU by Ella Harper


Title: Pieces of You
Author: Ella Harper
Publisher: Avon
Date: 8/14/2014
Source: ARC from Netgalley and publisher


Synopsis: 
Lucy. I don’t even know how to start this letter. 
Something happened. Something terrible . . .

Lucy was always sure of one thing – her future with husband and soulmate Luke. But after eight long, heartbreaking years trying to have a baby, that future is crumbling before her eyes.
When a terrible accident puts Luke into a coma, Lucy is forced to reassess everything she thought she wanted. 

Then a woman arrives with a shocking secret that will force Lucy to make the hardest decision of her life. 

As compelling and powerful as Jojo Moyes and Liane Moriarty, PIECES OF YOU is a heart-rending, haunting and ultimately life-affirming novel about a love tested to its limits.





If I were to try to summarize this book, I'm afraid that I would fill the page with spoilers. Instead, let me just say a few words about how I felt about this story.

First of all, I am super excited about this author's future. Harper has a smooth, easy style that flows and pulls the reader forward throughout the story. She knows just how to hit you right squarely in the feels.



The book was written in multiple points of view.  I enjoyed some a lot and others not much at all.  What I really liked best was getting to see Luke and Lucy's past.  Luke was quite smitten with Lucy and worked hard to woo her.  There was an intense love there, but it was different and I loved getting small pieces of it.
I melted. Who could resist such an advance? 'I'm in,' I told him with a stupid grin.  In reality, i was more than 'in'. I was hurtling, fast-falling, utterly bowled over. Despite being terrible at bowling.
As for the other P.O.V.'s, although they fit within the overall theme of Forgiveness, I often found myself skimming through to catch more of Luke and Lucy's story.  Also, when it was Lucy's P.O.V. it was written in first person.  The others were written in 3rd.  That, to me, was a little distracting.

Pieces of You is a heart-breaking story that includes love, loss, family dynamics, and friendship.  While there are some light-hearted moments,
"Do stop crying now, Mum,' Luke has said, dabbing clumsily at her face with a tissue. 'You look like Alice Cooper. Dad couldn't stand him.'
'I know. He always said he looked like a panda in drag.' 
it is a very intense story with heavy themes, so be warned.  This isn't a book to step into lightly, but overall, it was enjoyable.

3.5 out of 5 stars.



Many times throughout the book, Luke was referred to as a 'hero'.  Even though I didn't agree with all of his choices, I felt that Lucy would approve of this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment