Sunday, May 4, 2014

Open Hands - A Review of WE WERE LIARS by E. Lockhart

(Goodreads Blurb)
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
 
We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.




Connect with E. Lockhart:


website: www.emilylockhart.com
Liars site: www.wewereliars.com
blog: www.theboyfriendlist.com
Twitter: elockhart


My Review:

Thank you to Netgalley for providing an ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This review may be a little unusual because I am attempting not to spoil the story.

This is the second book that I have read by E. Lockhart and I have determined that she is operating on a much higher mental capacity than I am.  She tends to write in metaphors that often go over my head.  HOWEVER, I was so intrigued by WE WERE LIARS that I pushed through.  And I am so glad that I did.

The book is full of nostalgia, with Cadence, the narrator, often recalling past summers spent with her cousins and family and friends on their family's private island off the coast of Massachusetts.  Cadence recalls the first time she meets Gat, the nephew of her aunt's boyfriend.  She retells the story of how her and Gat fall in love during a few months a year over the course of a few years.  Cady tells stories of her cousins and how they fight and grow and love.

The story is told through beautiful and sometimes painful flashbacks.  Cadence remembers the tension that escalates between her mother and her aunts after their mother dies.  We read about the importance of family and how fiercely Cadence's grandfather believes in who they are.

It's the story of four teenagers who are learning about the world, about each other, and about love.  It is creative and lovely.  Give it a go.  I challenge you.

4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment