Sunday, November 10, 2013

Arms - A Review of Definitely, Maybe in Love by Ophelia London

(Goodreads Blurb)

Spring Honeycutt wants two things: to ace her sustainable living thesis and to save the environment. Both seem hopelessly unobtainable until her college professor suggests that with a new angle, her paper could be published. Spring swears she’ll do whatever it takes to ensure that happens.

“Whatever it takes,” however, means forming a partnership with the very hot, very privileged, very conceited Henry Knightly.

Henry is Spring's only hope at publication, but he's also the über-rich son of a land developer and cash-strapped Spring’s polar opposite. Too bad she can't help being attracted to the way he pushes her buttons, both politically and physically. As they work on her thesis, Spring finds there's more to Henry than his old money and argyle sweaters…but can she drop the loud-and-proud act long enough to let him in? Suddenly, choosing between what she wants and what she needs puts Spring at odds with everything she believes in.

Definitely, Maybe in Love is a modern take on Pride and Prejudice that proves true love is worth risking a little pride.
Thank you to Netgalley for providing an e-book copy in exchange for a fair and honest review. 

The Story...
Spring Honeycutt has worked hard to make sure she is respected for her work.  She has made major life changes in order to be taken seriously.  And suddenly, her professor is asking her to change the focus of her thesis.  While her choice to champion sustainability is recognized, her professor thinks that she is lacking the other side.  He suggests that she find someone who can answer questions about land development and how it effects the environment before she presents her thesis.  Basically, Spring needs to find someone who is her opposite to be able to finish meet her professors request.  And really, who is more her opposite than Henry Knightly?

Henry, fabulously rich son of a successful land developer, has recently moved in across the street from Spring and her roommates.  He drives his obnoxious Viper and seems to look down on her braids and see through her "hippie" ways.  But arguing with Henry causes Spring's blood to stir more than anything she's ever experienced before.

To tell the truth, if I had read far enough into the summary, I probably would not have requested this book.  I am not usually a fan of modern takes on classic stories.  Mostly, because I know what is going to happen next.  I like not knowing what to expect.  That being said, I enjoyed Definitely, Maybe in Love.  By the end, my tummy was clenching and my heart was racing hoping Henry and Spring could see through their misunderstandings and prideful remarks to JUST GET TOGETHER.  And they did.  I will be reading more by this author.

What Worked...
Spring was an excellent female lead.  She was strong and smart.  She didn't let little things like her dislike of a person stand in the way of what she wanted.  Also, she never let her rival, Lilah, get the best of her.  Lilah would push and get nasty, and while Spring responded, it was always with maturity and put Lilah in her place better than any snarky come-back.

Henry was super sweet after he got past his first meeting with Spring.  He was amazed by her and it was evident by the way he respected and treated her.

What Didn't...
Like I said earlier, I am usually not a fan of modern retellings because I like to be surprised by the characters and their behaviors.  This was a cute story, but I kept hoping for a deviation from the original story.  

3.5 out of 5 stars

Arms by Christina Perri
I never thought that you'd be the one to hold my heart
But you came around and you knocked me off the ground from the start 
I hope that you see right through my walls,
I hope that you catch me, cuz I'm already fallin'

No comments:

Post a Comment