Thursday, November 14, 2013

Hold On - Nikki's Review of SENTINEL by Jennifer L. Armentrout

(Goodreads Blurb)
It's a beautiful day for a war.

As the mortal world slowly slips into chaos of the godly kind, Alexandria Andros must overcome a stunning defeat that has left her shaken and in doubt of their ability to end this war once and for all.

And with all the obstacles between Alex and her happily-ever-after with the swoonworthy Aiden St. Delphi, they must now trust a deadly foe as they travel deep into the Underworld to release one of the most dangerous gods of all time.

In the stunning, action-packed climax to the bestselling Covenant series, Alex must face a terrible choice: the destruction of everything and everyone she holds dear… or the end of herself.

Sentinel was exactly what I wanted. A book with a nice and tidy relatively happy ending. Sentinel is not a terribly action-packed book, which was fine with me. Apollyon was so chaotic, that when I began Sentinel, I just wanted to see my Alex and Aiden get some damn peace. I breathed a contented sigh of relief finishing this one up. Finally! A conclusion that is worthy of its series and doesn’t make me hate the author for shitting on characters that I love.

This book wasn’t super shocking or even all that action-packed, as I already mentioned. To be frank, it didn’t seem as though all that much happened. Despite that, it’s not at all a boring read. There were a few unexpected twists, but mostly I could tell the outcome. Again, I was totally cool with that. This was a series I desperately needed to feel good about the ending because I genuinely loved these characters.

Speaking of characters, that is truly Jennifer Armentrout’s strength. She writes characters you love instantly. I always feel like I’m reading my insanely talented friends book when I pick up one of her titles. Just honestly, I want to tell everyone to read all of her books. The Covenant Series is definitely in my top ten. Sentinel was a perfect send-off for me.


And, here is where I abandon reviewing and just openly declare my love for Jen.

Why I love Jen Armentrout
  • She is funny as hell
  •  Aiden St Delphi
  • She loves bacon as much as I do. Or at least Alex does.
  • She has mastered the art of angsty romance (take some notes, Stephenie Meyer)
  • She creates awesome heroines
  • She uses pop culture references and slang without coming off too hipster or silly
  • Daemon Black
  • She loves bloggers
  • She’s incredibly nice and down-to-earth
  • Despite her obvious YA writing strength, she can write a really great new adult book
  •  She’s a fangirl too. She loves Supernatural! (Check out her blog, her Facebook etc)
  • The hot people on the Lux series covers are actually a couple! I’m not kidding. They are Hungarian, and they met when they were 12 years old (Go ahead and swoon, I am too) they are now engaged. Awwww!!
4.5 Stars!





Growing up, my Grandma always made us these delicious Ambrosia Cherry cookies. Check out the recipe HERE.  (I would use about 15 chopped and drained Maraschino cherries instead of raisins, but that’s up to you guys.) My Grandma was German, but you can pretend that her name was Grandma Piperi and bake  them up.  They are chewy, simple and so tasty.  

And seriously, listen to this while you bake. Yes, it’s kind of relevant to the book. Yes, it’s kind of a joke. But don’t even try to deny that you don’t fucking love this song. Listen and sing your emo little hearts out. You’re welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment