Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Today - A Review of CUPCAKES AND INK by Helena Hunting

(Goodreads Blurb)
Tenley Page is looking for a new start: a new city, a new apartment, a new life. Her plan is to keep to herself and stay focused. But leaving her past behind and starting over isn’t as easy as she thought. And neither is maintaining her solitude. As Tenley settles into her new surroundings, she finds herself drawn to Inked Armor, the tattoo studio across the street. But it’s the gorgeous, dark-haired tattoo artist who captures her interest. There’s something about his severe beauty that captivates her—and not just in her waking hours.

Covered in the ink he inscribes on other people’s skin, Hayden Stryker has made a career out of being a tattooist. He’s got his own business and a tight circle of friends. As far as he’s concerned, that’s all he needs. At least until his aunt, who owns the antiques and used book store across from his tattoo studio, hires a new employee. At first his intrigue is based on physical appeal; hot chick equals something nice to look at. But as he begins to catch glimpses of the fiery personality under the fragile, feminine exterior, his fascination with Tenley grows. Annoyed by his inability to control his fixation, Hayden decides the best way to cure him of the new obsession is to get to know the girl under her skittish façade.

But like the ink he wears as armor, Tenley has the ability to get under his skin and stay there.
Thank you to Simon & Schuster and Netgalley for providing an ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.

What Did I Think?

OMG I am so ready.  BRING.  IT.  ON.  I don't think it is a secret that this story was once a Twilight fanfiction.  When I first saw that HH was going to publish, I was intrigued.  I remember being so anxious for every update while reading the fanfic.  Would that same fascination translate into an traditionally published novel?  I have to answer with a resounding yes.

This is just the prequel to Clipped Wings, which is due out in March of 2014.  Hunting introduces us to the main characters, Hayden and Tenley, and we watch them dance around each other with very little face to face contact.  

Hayden tries to be sly in his inspection of the new girl hired by his aunt to work in her antiques store.  His visits to the store increase and his aunt takes notice, as do his co-workers at his tattoo parlor.

Tenley watches the captivating tattooist from her window across the street from the shop.  Everything about him captures her attention.  She longs to view the swirls of ink that roam his body, in theory.  In reality, she hides every time he comes into his aunt's shop.

Both are hiding a past that they would rather not face.  For his aunt's sake, Hayden tries to be on his best behavior, but something about Tenley makes it hard to be successful.

The author has an incredible gift of grabbing a reader and not letting go.  I was late for work trying to read just a few more words.  And this is a story I have read before.  When I finished with the prequel, all I could think was, I have to have more.  NOW.  Thanks to this little glimpse at Hayden, Tenley, and  the gang, I am extremely excited for Clipped Wings to hit the shelves.

Today - The Smashing Pumpkins

This song is a little spoiler-ish, but since I know the story, I know that both Tenley and Hayden have learned that tomorrow isn't a guarantee.  Today may be all you have.  Make the most of it.  Also, as DJ Amber pointed out to me, these lyrics are perfect.
Pink ribbon scars
That never forget
I tried so hard
To cleanse these regrets
My angel wings
Were bruised and restrained
My belly stings

No comments:

Post a Comment