Monday, June 1, 2015

Heartbreak Dream Lori's Review of P.S. I STILL LOVE YOU by Jenny Han


Title: P.S. I Still Love You
Author: Jenny Han
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers
Publication Date: 5/26/2015
Source: My Shelves 


Synopsis:

Lara Jean didn't expect to really fall for Peter.

She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren't. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.

When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean's feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?

In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that's part of what makes it so amazing.






P.S. I Still Love You is a continuation of Lara Jean's story from To All The Boys I've Loved Before. If you haven't read Book #1, this review, and even the summary above will be a little spoiler-ish so avert your eyes if you want to remain spoiler-free.

The beginning of PSISLY refers back to some people, inside jokes, and occurrences from TATBILB that I just simply didn't remember. Also, later on Gen accuses Lara Jean of something that was told in detail in book #1 and I didn't remember that either. So what I'm trying to say is...I recommend a re-read of To All the Boys I've Loved Before previous to diving in to P.S. I Still Love You.

Lara Jean and Peter are attempting to make an honest to goodness go at a relationship. Their interactions are so perfect. Lara Jean is quirky and sometimes snappish with Peter, but he is just so even tempered and let's everything just roll right past him. He teases LJ and always gets back into her good graces whenever he upsets. It's all very sweet. The one fly in the ointment seems to be the constant texts and conversations between Peter and his ex-girlfriend, Genevieve. 

Lara Jean's involvement with the people at the senior center bring her into contact with a boy from her past. Even though she really likes Peter, she can't help comparing herself to Gen and finding herself lacking. She knows that she has this new boy's full attention, all the while Gen is trying to be the center of Peter's.

Some things I really love about this series are the friendships and how authentically teenager-y they are. I remember how 'life and death' absolutely everything felt as a 16 year old. Also, I have two teenagers in my house and Han is spot on. 

The family relationships in this series are also very strong. I love Peter's mom and his interactions with her. Lara Jean is super close to her father and her sisters. While the sisters bicker and pick at each other, they stand together and don't let anyone else hurt the ones they love. Lara Jean's older sister, Margo, put it best when she said,
"You're not my best friend. You're my sister, and that's more."
I somehow had forgotten how much Jenny Han's writing captures the heart of teen romance. It's not easy. It's not pretty. But in the end, the pain is worth it. Right?

This book is a solid 4.5 out of 5 stars.


Betty Who - Heartbreak Dream

With all of the back and forth and outside pressures on Lara Jean and Peter's relationship, this song seemed just about perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment