Thursday, May 28, 2015

Give Me a Try - Lori's Review of THE START OF ME AND YOU by Emery Lord


Title: The Start of Me and You
Author: Emery Lord
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: 3/31/2015
Source: My Kindle 


Synopsis:
Following her pitch-perfect debut Open Road Summer, Emery Lord pens another gorgeous story of best friends, new love, & second chances.

Brimming with heartfelt relationships and authentic high-school dynamics The Start of Me and You proves that it’s never too late for second chances.

It’s been a year since it happened—when Paige Hancock’s first boyfriend died in an accident. After shutting out the world for two years, Paige is finally ready for a second chance at high school . . . and she has a plan. First: Get her old crush, Ryan Chase, to date her—the perfect way to convince everyone she’s back to normal. Next: Join a club—simple, it’s high school after all. But when Ryan’s sweet, nerdy cousin, Max, moves to town and recruits Paige for the Quiz Bowl team (of all things!) her perfect plan is thrown for a serious loop. Will Paige be able to face her fears and finally open herself up to the life she was meant to live?





I'm Emery, and I write books about flawed girls who are really trying, complicated families, friends who show up even when everything's going down in flames, the boy who Gets You even when you don't expect it, and the summer that changed everything. 

Open Road Summer is out now, and The Start of Me & You releases March 31st, 2015. 

I don't check my GR inbox, but feel free to get in touch via ways listed on my website! 
http://www.emerylord.com/p/site-qs.html



I've gotten a little gunshy, or should I say 'sophomore-shy' from when I fall completely in love with one book from an author and then the next book I read from him/her leaves me saying, 'Meh.' I'm happy to report that this DID NOT happen with The Start of Me and You. For the second time in a row, Ms. Lord has knocked my socks off. 

Paige has decided it is time to move on from the grief of losing her first boyfriend. This wasn't your typical teenage heartbreak, but actually the death of her boyfriend/best friend. Paige knows that it is time to move forward and sets goals for herself.  First she needs to get Ryan Chase to date her. She also decides to join a club. These seem like the perfect way to get everyone to think she is back to normal. But Paige didn't count on Ryan's cousin, Max recruiting her for the Quiz Bowl Team and changing her life.

Max is slightly nerdy but definitely in a cute way. He is very kind to Paige and because he is new to their school, he has a tendency to not treat her as the fragile soul the rest of her friends and classmates seem to think she has become. Max is definitely good for Paige, but the question remains, will she be as good for him, or will her fears be too much for them to overcome?

Emery Lord creates amazing Young Adult experiences in her books. Somehow, in just a few pages, she builds amazing family dynamics, the very best friendships that I think I've ever read, and the wonderful tension that comes from young love and simply being a teenager. If you are a lover of the Young Adult genre, like me, I whole - heartedly recommend The Start of Me And You, as well as her debut novel, Open Road Summer.

5 out of 5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment